In recent months I’ve started using iMovies as a faster way to put photos together into a simple slideshow and the ability to also move a project to an iPad is ultra handy, they have almost identical workflows. I, however, faced an unusual issue on a brand new MacBook Pro device when Sharing a movie both from iMovie and Final cut. For some reason, it was creating this issue when trying to compile an MP4 file.
The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)
Luckily I had a Mac Pro not far away, and I began investigating. The main difference I could see was that I had “File Vault” turned on the New MacBook Pro device. I thought this could be the problem as the encryption of read-write data on MacBooks has known to slow down the device and also cause battery drain at times.
The solution was quite simple for me, it was simply turning off FileVault and leaving the mac alone to complete its de-encryption process. Which took a fair bit of time. As soon as this was done, and I restarted all started working as it should and exports to MP4 started working just fine there.
I am unsure of why encrypting the hard drive would cause, it could be that its a bug when writing larger files like movie clips to the hard drive, that could cause this issue. Or by de-encryption has just cleared the master file cache which has been reported to solve the problem in some other threads. Anyhow, I am happy that this has solved the problem for me, and I hope this can help someone out there.